PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: 2 servings
Lentils are one of the great pillars of plant-based protein. Some of the best vegan meals out there utilize lentils, and we couldn’t help but get on board. Fried lentils have a creamy-crispy texture, the perfect complement to our Butcher’s Select Bratwurst Sausages. Black and green lentils work best in this recipe, for they crisp up in all the right ways.
- 1 cup dried black or French green lentils, rinsed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 head fennel, trimmed and cut into 8ths, fronds saved for garnish
- 1 pkg Butcher's Select Bratwurst
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups tender salad greens
Very Good Citrus Dressing
- 1/2 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small orange, juiced and zested
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary or thyme, if desired
- salt and pepper
- In a medium pot of salted water over high heat, cook lentils for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in a colander. Leave in the colander to cool. Transfer to a bowl and pat dry.
- In a medium sized pan over medium heat, add oil and cook fennel and bratwurst for 6-8 minutes or until bratwurst is golden-brown and fennel is tender. Remove from the pan.
- In the same pan over high heat, add lentils and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lentils are crisp. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, combine all Very Good Citrus Dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Split salad greens between two bowls and top with bratwurst and fried lentils. Drizzle with dressing and garnish with fennel fronds.
Be sure to share your Vegan Lentil & Sausage Bowl with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.