PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
YIELD: 36 mini meatballs
The 90's have come around again so let's bring back the mini "meat" on a stick. Load up your fanciest toothpicks with pineapple chunks, mini meatballs, sprinkle of green onions and sesame seeds. Or serve as a quick and easy, weeknight dinner on a bowl of rice. Either way the sweet, gooey, tangy sauce on our gluten-free and taste-heavy Butcher's Select line will blow your tastebuds away.
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil, or other neutral oil
- 2 pkg Butcher Select Flippin’ Good Burger (or 1 pkg Butcher Select Mmm Meatballs)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (389mL) pineapple chunks, juice set aside
- 1/4 cup ketchup or Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- sesame seeds
- Roll each Flippin’ Good Burger into 6-8 meatballs depending on your desired final size.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp oil and saute meatballs for 5-6 minutes or until brown. Set meatballs aside.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, remaining oil, and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add into pan ketchup, rice wine vinegar, ¼ cup pineapple juice, brown sugar and soy sauce. Cook, stirring often for 4-6 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp cold water. Stir well. Add cornstarch slurry into the pot and still well. Stir in pineapple chunks, and meatballs. Once the sauce is thick and glossy, turn off the heat.
- Serve with 1 meatball and 1 pineapple on a toothpick or the whole recipe on a plate. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve warm.
Be sure to share your Sweet and Sour Meatballs with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.