Our Very Good Butcher Stuffed Beast is paired with crispy and golden potatoes, savoury wild mushrooms, and a creamy, umami gravy. Have this as part of your holiday dinner or as a full meal for Sunday dinner.
This dish can be made in a standard oven or an air fryer oven. We don’t recommend trying this recipe in an air fryer with a basket.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
YIELD: 4-6 servings
- 5 lbs potatoes, cut in quarters
- 1/4 cup plant-based butter
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped roasting herbs, like rosemary, oregano, thyme, mint, and/or sage
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth or chicken-less broth
- 1 tbsp plant-based Worcestershire
- 3-4 cups wild mushrooms*, large mushrooms cut into smaller pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pkg Very Good Butchers Stuffed Beast
- 2 tbsp plant-based butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
*If wild mushrooms are not accessible, crimini or button mushrooms will also work well.
- In a large pot, add potatoes and cover with water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 10 minutes once boiling or until partially cooked.
- If using the oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, add butter and once hot add shallots and garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes or until translucent. Add white wine. Cook for 5 minutes or until wine has reduced about 50%.
- Add fresh herbs, worcestershire, and broth. Set aside.
- In a baking pan with raised edges, like most sheet pans have, add potatoes, mushrooms, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix well and spread into an even layer.
- Remove Stuffed Beast from packaging. Refer to this video, if needed. And place in the center of the baking pan on top of potatoes and mushrooms.
- Pour broth on top of the stuffed beast. Being careful not to overflow your pan.
- If using the oven, bake the beast for 50 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the center of the beast is above 165F. Baste the beast with liquid every 15 minutes.
- If using an air fryer oven, bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes or until the center of the beast is above 165F. Baste the beats every 10 minutes while cooking.
- Once the beast is cooked. Remove from the pan and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour extra liquid from the pan into a liquid measuring cup. Add extra broth to liquid to have a total of 2 cups.
- If potatoes and mushrooms and potatoes are not golden and partially crisp, add back to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Add to a small saucepan over medium heat, and add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden and thick, stirring often.
- Slowly pour in broth, stirring often. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add apple cider vinegar to gravy. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- To serve, slice stuffed beast and serve on top of potatoes and mushrooms with gravy on side.
Be sure to share your Stuffed Beast with Roasted Wild Mushrooms and Fingerling Potatoes with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.