Rubens is a classic deli sandwich where Russian dressing and sauerkraut are just screaming to be re-imagined into a sub. Russian Dressing is Thousand Islands spicy cousin and pairs perfectly with briny sauerkraut and hearty Butcher's Select Bratwurst. All combined together on a buttery grilled sub bun. To really get that full deli feel, pair with a giant pickle.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
YIELD: 4 servings
- 1 tsp avocado oil, or other neural oil
- 1 pkg Butcher Select Bratwurst
- plant-based butter
- 4 sub buns, preferably a grainy hearty type
- ¼ block The Very Good Cheese Co. Goud AF*
- ½ cup plant-based mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup or Heniz Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 1 tbsp white onion, finely minced
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp plant-based worcestershire
- In a medium nonstick pan over medium heat, add oil and once hot add bratwurst. Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning regularly.
- In the meantime, combine all Russian Dressing ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Slice sub buns in half and generously butter. Toast in the same nonstick pan or in the oven.
- To build subs, spread cheese on buns, top with a generous amount of dressing, then sausage, and top with sauerkraut.
- Serve warm.
Be sure to share your Reuben Bratwurst Subs with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.