Outmatch last year's appetizers with Plant-Based Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. This incredible starter will leave a lasting impression and can be served both hot and cold.
The not-so-secret ingredients are Goud *AF Very Good Cheese and Very Good Pepperoni. They’re the perfect complement to the savoury texture of the mushroom. Just be careful not to spoil your appetite!
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: 20 mushrooms
- 2 tbsp plant-based butter
- 1/2 stick Very Good Butcher Pepperoni
- 1 leek, about 2/3 cup, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 block Very Good Cheese Co. Goud AF or Pepper Jack
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 20 buttons or crimini mushrooms, stems removed
Fried Garlic Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 8 x 8in pan or large oven-safe skillet.
- In a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Once hot add pepperoni and saute for 5 minutes. Add leeks, shallots, and garlic. Saute 5-8 minutes or until the leek is tender.
- Add Very Good Cheese to the pan and let it melt. In the meantime, combine plant-based milk with cornstarch and mix well - be sure plant-based is cold. Pour mixture into pan and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring often. Season generously with salt and pepper. Set mixture aside in the refrigerator to chill.
- In the meantime make Fried Garlic Breadcrumbs. In a small pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes before adding breadcrumbs. Stirring often, fry breadcrumb mixture for 4-6 minutes or until golden, crisp, and fragrant. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix in parsley.
- Place mushrooms in a pan, and spoon in mixture evenly between all mushrooms. Sprinkle mushrooms evenly with all breadcrumb mixture.
- Add to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked and breadcrumbs are a deep golden colour.
- Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold.