Grab and go breakfast isn’t always the first thing you think with meal prep, but it can be a must if you are commuting. Allow us to introduce our Make-Ahead Loaded Breakfast Sandwiches made with everything you need in a filling breakfast, including the hash brown.
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
YIELD: 8 burgers
Baked Plant-Based ‘Eggs’
- avocado oil, or other neutral oil
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 cups baby spinach, tightly packed
- 1 pkg (~450g) medium tofu, drained
- 3 tbsp all-purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened plant-based milk
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- 8 hash brown patties
- 2 pkgs The Very Good Burger OR Smokin Burgers
- Burger Sauce
- 1 block The Very Good Cheese Co., optional
Baked Plant-based ‘Eggs’
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease a muffin tin.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, add a small amount of oil. Once oil is hot, add red onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or until beginning to become translucent. Add in spinach and let cook until wilted. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine remaining egg ingredients (tofu, flour, milk, and seasonings). Blend until smooth. If not blending well, add 1-2 more tablespoons of milk.
- Evenly pour mixture into 8 greased muffin tin holes and top each with spinach and onions. Lightly press spinach into the ‘egg’ mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing the muffin tin.
- Cook hash browns and burgers according to package instructions.
- To assemble the burger, add burger sauce to both sides of burger buns. Add burger patty to bottom bun, top with 1 egg muffin, 1 hash brown patty, and sliced The Very Good Cheese Co. (if using).
- Top burger with top bun and lightly press down to spread egg.
- Serve immediately while hot or follow freezing instructions for meal prep options.
Freezing and Reheating
- Wrap sandwiches in tin foil, add to a larger freezer bag, and freeze until needed. OR Zero-waste option, add sandwiches to a sheet pan and place in the freezer for 3-4 hours or until frozen solid. Add sandwiches to reusable silicone bags or freezer-safe containers. Freeze until needed.
- To reheat:
- Microwave From Frozen: Remove tin foil, place burger a paper towel and microwave 5 min on high, turning halfway, or until warm.
- Microwave From Thawed: Remove tin foil, place burger a paper towel and microwave 2 min on high or until warm.
- Toaster Oven / Air Fryer: Defrost burger in refrigerator overnight, place burger in tin foil (if used) and heat at 350 for 4-7 minutes or until warmed through.
- For Camping: Thaw sandwich, keep tightly wrapped in tin foil and place onto grill or over campfire for 3-5 min.
- Store-bought egg substitute instead of our Baked Plant-Based ‘Eggs’. Cook store bought eggs according to packaging.
- Instead of hash brown patties use 2 medium red potatoes. Preheat the oven to 425F. Cut potatoes into 8 slices, toss in oil and salt. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender and golden.
Be sure to share your Make-Ahead Loaded Breakfast Burgers with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.
Shop all the plant based meat