PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 68 minutes
YIELD: 12 servings
Juicy Lucys are a Minneapolis staple, and for good reason. They consist of a slice of cheese sandwiched between two burgers, in a bun. They're genius, and just the kind of recipe that was begging to be made plant-based.
Juicy Lucys make every bite feel exciting, and are a guaranteed hit. After all, who could refuse a burger with a cheese-filled center?
- 1/4 package Very Good Cheese Co. Cheddah
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 large white onions, sliced thin
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package Butcher Select Mmmm Meatballs
- 12 slider buns
- Plant-based mayo
- Yellow mustard
- ½ head lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Cut Very Good Cheese Co. Cheddah into 12 squares and place on a plate. Freeze for at least 2 hours, or until solid.
- In a mid-sized pan over medium heat-high, add oil and onions. Sauté for 5-10 minutes or until translucent and starting to brown.
- Lower heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar to deglaze bottom of pan. Repeat steps 3-4 times or until onions are deep brown in colour. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To prepare Juicy Lucys, open up each meatball and place in a frozen cheese square. Carefully form the meatball around the cheese and flatten into a slider. Repeat with all meatballs.
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil and cook sliders for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned and crisp.
- Prepare buns with mayo and mustard. Layer on lettuce, tomato, slider, and caramelized onions.