Birria is a traditional Mexican dish that requires slow cooking meat for hours. Our Plant-Based Birria Tacos streamline the process, and make a tasty consomme to boot.
Fry up your BBQ Pulled Jackfruit with blended veggies, then strain the remaining liquid for frying and dipping. The double whammy of consomme makes a taco that is crispy, delicious, and reminiscent of Mexican street vendors.
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
YIELD: 8-10 Tacos
- avocado oil, or other oil with high smoke point
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 1 medium tomato
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo from a can
- 2 tbsp vinegar, white or acv
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups no-chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pkg BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- corn tortillas
- Turn the oven to broil. And in an oven safe pan or tray, add onion, garlic, tomato, and oil. Mix well until everything is well oiled. Broil in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until edges are starting to char, keeping a close eye to ensure no burning.
- Add charred onion and garlic to a blender with chipotles, tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, and broth. Blend until smooth. Add to a saucepan. And season with salt.
- In a cheesecloth or teabag, add in cloves and bay leaf. And add to the saucepan with a cinnamon stick, and BBQ Pulled Jackfruit.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove cloves, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick. Discard.
- Using a fine mesh strainer overtop of a large bowl. Strain jackfruit and set aside. Return liquid to saucepan and set aside for consomme.
- In a non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add a small amount of oil.
- Quickly dip 1 corn tortilla into liquid in the saucepan. Then place tortilla on non-stick pan. Add a generous serving of jackfruit to 1 side of corn tortilla. Fold tortilla over jackfruit into a taco. And fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crisp. Repeat the process until no jackfruit remains.
- Add onion and cilantro to consomme.
- Serve crisp tacos with consomme on side for dipping or sipping.
Be sure to share your Jackfruit Birria Tacos with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.