PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 6 minutes
YIELD: 3 servings
Kale gets a bad rep. It's leafy, bitter, and some would argue too dang GREEN. But there’s so much to appreciate about kale when it’s prepared right.
When tossed in the right mixture of oil and salt, raw kale becomes a delectable treat. Combine it with Garlic Tahini Salad Dressing and our Very British Bangers to create a tasty, filling salad that can be ready in less than 20 minutes.
- 2 bunches lacinato kale (also known as dinosaur kale)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 pkg Smokin' Bangers OR A Very British Banger
Garlic Tahini Salad Dressing:
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp capers, chopped
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced OR 4-5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp plant-based Worcestershire sauce, optional but recommended
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- roasted cauliflower
- De-stem kale, then stack 4-5 leafs on top of each other, roll into a tight, long roll, and thinly cut into ribbon pieces. OR pull leafs into bite sized pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, combine kale with a splash of olive oil, and a little salt. Using your hands, massage kale for 2-3 minutes or until the leaves start to wilt and turn a deep green colour. Set aside.
- In the meantime, remove sausage casing, and slice your sausage on a bias. In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook sausage for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Set aside.
- Make Garlic Tahini Dressing. In a small bowl, combine all salad dressing ingredients. Whisk together until smooth. Taste and adjust flavour as desired.
- Once your kale has been sitting for 5-10 minutes. Taste a leaf, it should be tender and not tough. If still tough, continue to massage for a few more minutes or until tender.
- Combine massaged kale, Garlic Tahini Dressing, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds and any other additions mix-ins. Toss well and serve topped with sausage.
Be sure to share your Garlicky Tahini Kale Salad with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.