PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 15-20 minutes
YIELD: ~48 pinwheels
If you want a crowd pleasing appetizer that is quick AND easy, this is the recipe for you. Five or less ingredients to whip up a crunchy, cheesy, handheld appetizer that everyone from kids to grandparents will love.
Pro tip: Make half a batch with just the cheese mixture and the other half with our Very Good Bacon inside.
- ½ block Very Good Cheese Co. Dill-ish or Pepper Jack
- ⅔ cup plant-based cream cheese (we recommend trying Earth's Own)
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs (like parsley, dill, mint, rosemary, or thyme), chopped
- ½-1 pkg Very Good Bacon, chopped, optional but recommended
- flour, for dusting
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry*, thawed in the refrigerator overnight
*these are usually plant-based but make sure to read the ingredients to be sure
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or reusable silicone baking sheets.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Very Good Cheese Co., cream cheese and herbs. Mix well, we recommend using an electric mixer.
- On a clean countertop, lightly dust the surface with flour. Place 1 puff pastry on a floured surface, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll pastry to a 10 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Gently spread half of the cheese mixture over the entire puff pastry and sprinkle with half of the bacon, if using.
- Tightly roll into a 12-inch log and place it in the refrigerator.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with the remaining ingredients.
- Remove the first pinwheel log from the refrigerator and cut it into 24 pinwheels. Place pinwheels on lined parchment paper. Repeat with other pinwheel logs. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Keep for up to 3 days refrigerated in an airtight container. Reheat at 375F for about 5 minutes.
Upgrade this dish by serving it with this easy, creamy dip. Combine 1 pkg (8oz) plant-based sour cream; ½ lemon, juiced; ½ cup fresh chopped herbs; 3 cloves minced garlic; salt and pepper.
Be sure to share your Cheese-y Herb Pinwheels with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.