Toad in a Hole originated as a classic British dish, using sausages baked inside a Yorkshire pudding. We’ve reimagined the dish to become a plant-based appetizer perfect for your holiday party or as a pairing to your favorite plant-based Roast Beast dinner.
We suggest serving this dish alongside your favorite plant-based gravy or cheese sauce for dipping.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 cups plant-based unsweetened milk
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
- 4 tsp + 9 tsp grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 pkg Very Good Butcher Smokin’ Bangers OR British Banger, sliced
- 1 medium red onions, cut into 12 pieces
- fresh herbs or microgreens, for garnish
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well and make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In well, pour milk, water, and 4 teaspoons of oil. Combine all ingredients well. Mixture should be pourable, if needed add more water if needed to achieve a pourable texture. Set mixture aside in the fridge for 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425F.
- Pour 1 tsp oil into 8 of the muffin tin holes. Place in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until smoking hot.
- Give batter a quick mix and pour it into a measuring cup or jug that is easy to pour from. Have bangers and onions ready.
- Once smoking hot, remove the muffin tin from the oven, and pour batter into 8 oiled muffin tin holes. Top batter evenly with onions and bangers quickly. And place back in the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and very crisp.
- Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with fresh herbs.
Be sure to share your British Style Plant-Based Toad in the Hole with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers.