Who says you need meat to have meatballs?! Our Taco Stuff'er provides the perfect texture for succulent, hearty alternative meatball. Paired with a sticky, sweet, Asian-inspired glaze, steamed veggies and crunchy sesame seeds - this recipe is a home run. Get it...(meat)balls, home run...
We'll stick to the food and leave the comedy for the pros.
It all comes together in 30 minutes or less (depending on how speedy you are) and is a great make ahead meal. You could prep the sauce and keep in the fridge until you cook the meatballs to save time on the day.
YIELD: 16 - 1 tbsp sized meatballs
300g Very Good Taco Stuff’er
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 flax egg (mix 1 tbsp flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp water, let sit for 15 mins)
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp brown sugar, packed
3 tbsp mirin
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced ginger
- Preheat oven to 375F. Add all ingredients above to a food processor and pulse until mixture sticks together.
- Shape and gently squeeze into 1 tbsp size meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking pan. Bake for 13-15 mins or until golden brown and crispy on the outside. I don’t flip the meatballs halfway through cooking as they are pretty delicate.
- In a bowl, mix your water and cornstarch until completely dissolved. Add the brown sugar, mirin, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger, mix to combine.
- Add your sauce mixture to a small sauce pan and heat over medium high heat, bring to a boil and cook until sauce has thicken about 3-4 mins, reducing the heat as needed. Gently brush the sauce on top of your cooked meatballs.
- Serve with rice, steamed broccoli and garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Be sure to share your Asian Glazed Meatballs with us using #TheVeryGoodButchers and tagging @theverygoodbutchers so we can see! We'll share our favourites.