Adding creamed corn to this plant-based Skillet Cornbread makes it almost buttery in texture and flavour. And cooking it in a skillet makes the outside crisp while the inside stays moist. Serve this cornbread hot straight from the skillet with chili, breakfast, or in our Plant-based Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
YIELD: 6-8 servings
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp melted plant-based butter OR neutral oil like avocado or grapeseed, melted and divided
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp yellow cornmeal, divided
- 2/3 cup plant-based unsweetened milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup creamed corn
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease skillet with 1 tbsp butter or oil and sprinkle 1 tbsp cornmeal evenly across the pan.
- In a liquid measuring cup, add plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add in milk, melted butter or oil, maple syrup, and creamed corn to the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into skillet and smooth top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and top with golden.
- Allow to cool in the skillet before slicing into triangles.
Skillet can be substituted with an 8in x 8in cake pan OR pie pan.