PREP TIME: 2.5 hours
COOK TIME: - minutes
YIELD: ~900g pizza dough
Easy, 6 ingredient pizza dough. Plus it's plant-based. Make a big batch and freeze pizza dough to have on hand.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 4 tsp sugar
- 5 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for bowl
- 1 ⅓ cups warm water*
*Water should feel warm to the touch but not hot. Too hot will kill the yeast, too cold will not activate the yeast.
This recipe can be made by hand or in a stand mixer. Follow instructions for your chosen method and then move along to step 4 under “Dough Rise #1”
Knead By Hand Instructions
- In a large bowl, mix flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix well and make a well in the center.
- In the well, pour oil and warm water. Slowly incorporate flour into liquid. Once all flour is combined. Mix well until a ball starts to form and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface, and scape dough out of the bowl onto the work surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes or until the ball becomes smooth.
- In a stand-mixer, add flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix for 30 seconds on low.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour olive oil and warm water into flour. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides.
- Turn the mixer on medium-low for 3 minutes or until a smooth ball is formed.
Dough Rise #1
- In a large bowl, drizzle a small amount of olive oil around the bowl. And add pizza dough ball. Moving ball around to become oiled.
- Cover bowl with a clean tea towel and allow to rise on counter for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
Dough Rise #2
- Flour the work surface, and add dough. Deflate dough by hitting.
- Cut dough into 3 (~330g) even sized portions. Shape each portion into a ball by tucking sides underneath until smooth.
- If freezing, follow instructions in notes.
- If using today, add balls to a sheet tray and cover with a clean tea towel. Allow to rise for 1 more hour or until doubled in size again.
- After the second rise, the dough is ready to use. Follow your favourite pizza recipe or make a calzone with leftovers.
To Freeze: After forming pizza dough into individual balls, place each ball into their own freezer bag. Freeze for up to 6 months.
When ready to use, add a small amount of olive oil to a medium sized bowl. Place the frozen ball in a bowl and cover with a clean dish towel. Let sit at room temperature for 6-8 hours before using.
Yeast: If using “Active Dry Yeast” instead of instant yeast, take water from the recipe (should be warm water, not hot),and add sugar and yeast. Mix. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, a small amount of foam should appear. Mix yeast mixture with flour, olive oil, and salt, and follow along with the recipe.